Monday, June 06, 2005

ik kavidhayin niRam sivappu

This weekend I was watching "karnan" when I was struck with the way the color red is dealt with by two different poets at different context. I am not in any way trying to compare the caliber of these two poets. Just that it was interesting to note that the same color can have different attributes.

The first one is to describe the generosity of the King, expressed by a poet. Every single line in the verse is associated with the literature and spirituality. The second one being completely romantic, visualized by a person in love has all its comparisons made to nature.


nANi chivandhana madharAr kaNgal
nAdudhorum nadandhu chivandhanar pAvalar KAlgal
narporuLai thEdi chivandhanar gnaniyar nenjam
dhinam koduthu theindhu chivandhadhu karna mAmannan thirukaramE


nANam is a term that is associated with peNmai in tholkAppiyam, oru peNNin iLLakkaNam
pAvalar, meaning poets needed to go around places to gather facts to compose their poetry, yet again associated with literature.
porul thEdi, meaning the learned men/women going in search of "Meaning of Life"


KiLaiyil kAnum kiLiyin mookku
vidalai peNNin vetrilai nAkku
puttham pudhiyai rattha rOja
boomi thodA piLLaiyin pAtham
ellA sivappum unthan kObham


kiLiyin mooku, vidalai peN, piLLain pAdham (my favorite).

What a contrast?!?!?!

8 comments:

RS said...

Sujan, not sure if you read this...kinda inspired by this song :), Maybe you should start writing in Tamil instead of Tanglish?

sb said...

hey rs,
I agree, Thamizhla ezhudha aramikkanum. I did see a note in Subha's blogspot. ukkandhu oru naal kathundu try out pannanum.
viraivil :-)

jack said...

intresting topic.

sb said...

hey Senthil,
Thanks for stopping by. btw, it was very interesting readin your blogs. I mean, I should appreciate you you for the way you have designed it. excellent!!!

Narayanan Venkitu said...

Sujan,
Came here from subha, I have to read you slowly tonight since its all English...!

Is this a deliberate attempt? I mean to write in English.?

I wrote like you first and then changed to typing in Tamil thanks to Adeyengappa.!

Anonymous said...

Sujan,

Nice lines there !
Color has always been a way of life all thro' the ages ! So much associations to it.

Reg. tamil typin and bloggin, it's a 1 minute job. All you need is to download
and install a software called e-kalappai if u are using windows. Install it and start typin phonetically as you already do (unicode fonts should already be pre installed if you are using Win XP). If Linux, u wud need a few other fonts. Let me know if you need any help.

As narayan venkittu says it is far more sweeter to blog in tamil, specially the topics you write about.

sb said...

narayanan venkitu,
first of all how should I call you? I see all others refereing you as Venkitu Sir. naanum appadiye koopidava?
I totally agree with you that I should be writing in thamizh instead of thanglish. I promise, my next blog will be in thamizh.
thanks for stopping by.

The Doodler said...

Sujan,
I've thought the exact same thing at one point! I really love the way Vairamuthu (?) has dealt with colors in that song! Good one.