Tuesday, June 14, 2005

கற்றதும் பெற்றதும் - Books Tagging

I have been tagged by Subha. I am not of the voracious reader kind. My reading habit developed after I came to the US. India வில் இருந்த வரை வெரும் Tinkle, Chandamama, Champak, அவ்லொ தான் நம்ப range :-).

I am basically a non-fiction reader with a very few exceptions like Michael Crichton and RKN.

I like Michael Crichton for the amount of research he does before he comes up with a book.
Recent one - Timeline
Prey, Jurasic Park, Congo.
RKN, I feel the greatness in this author is to convey that is very Indian in a language that is totally foriegn to this land.
recent one - Mr. Sampath printer of Malgudi
Malgudi days, Swami and his friends, Bachelor of Arts



Yet another author in the fiction category is Ayn Rand. But i see him as a non-fiction author. I have only read Fountain Head of his books. Howard Roark the lead character is my role model.
I kinda feel that the book conforms to the teachings of The Gita. "karmaNyev adhikArasthe, mA phaleshu kadhachana".

Rest is all non-fictions and biographies. To name some interesting ones.
May it Please your Honour - Nathuram Ghotse. This is not authored by Ghotse. This is the trial transcript that gave him death sentence
My experiments with Truth - M.K. Gandhi. An excellent book. Interestingly, from reading both these books I feel there is not much of a difference in character between Gandhi and Ghotse.
The Goal series - Eliyahu M. Goldratt. It is a must read for all OR majors.

There other biographies in this list.

தமிழில்

நான் பள்ளியில் தமிழ் படித்தது கிடயாது. இது என் சொந்த் முயற்சி, ஆக அதிகம் படிக்க வாய்ப்பு இல்லை. இஙு US வண்த பிறகு என் நீண்ட நாள் ஆதஙத்தை தீர்து கொண்டேன்.

பார்த்திபன் கனவு - கல்கி. 700 வருடத்திர்க்கு முன்பு நிகழ்ண்ததை அழகாக சித்தரித்திரிக்கிரார் அமரர் கல்கி.
ரிஷி மூலம், எனது பார்வயில் - ஜெயகாந்தன். இவரிடம் எனக்கு பிடிதது, அரசியல் எழுதும் பொழுது நடுனிலை வஹிப்பது.
அப்புசாமி படம் எடுக்கிரார் - பகியம் ராமசாமி - ஒரு நேர்முக சன்திப்பில் Crazy Mohan இவரடுய பெர்மைகளை விளக்கினார். சமீபகாலமாக அப்புசாமி சிரு கதைகள் ஆனந்த விகடனில் தொடராக வருகிரது.

The last book(s) I bought
ponniyin selvan - kalki
Early India - Romila thapar
The last book I read
enadhu pArvayil - Jeyakanthan
Total Books I own
Around 50
Books that mean a lot to me
Bhagavad Gita by C. Rajagopalachari
The Goal by Eliyahu M. Goldratt

I would like to tag
Dinesh
Satheesh
Partha

6 comments:

RS said...

Wanted to say this even earlier - refreshing to read தமிழ் in your blogs :) - although I wish I could understand more than I do currently!

dinesh said...

Tag answered !! Paaru !

Dude, ozhungu mariyaadhaya anniyan ku vandhu seru...onnoda neraya fans a meet panlaam :)

sb said...

dinesh,
dei dei, eppadiye ethi uttu ethi uttu udamba ran galam akki uttudreenga da :-)
I will be there. pAthu romba naal achu :-)

sb said...

rs,
thanks. Honestly, enakku English la unna madiri nalla ezhudha varadhu. I am more comfi expressing my thoughts in thamizh.
ennoda thamizh romba simple nu dhan naan nenachundu irukken. I would appreciate if you can point out where I have failed to communicate properly.

RS said...

Sujan, "where you have failed to communicate properly" illa problem inga, enaku sumaara thaan padika varum, schoolla tamil padikkala - though trying to read more tamil blogs and understand better :)

sb said...

rs,
great!!! naanaum appadi dhan anandha vikatan, kumudam ellam padichu dhan thamizh kathunden.
if anything does not make sense to you please let me know, ennAla mudinja alavukku naan enna solla vandhengaraha vilakki solrEn